Burnley College has earned a prestigious silver standard in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) awards in recognition of its high-quality university-level teaching which is centred around its industry expertise and the close links it has forged with top employers across the region.
The silver accolade, judged by an independent panel of education experts, students and employers, places the college on the same TEF ranking as top universities and colleges across the UK, including Heriot-Watt University, and the Universities of Warwick and Manchester.
Karen Buchanan, Principal of Burnley College, said:
“We are delighted that the TEF panel have recognised the outstanding teaching which we offer our students who choose to study at university level at the industry-standard facilities we have here in Burnley. Many of our Tutors are drawn from top positions in their industry and bring with them not only a wealth of knowledge but the experience of what makes an individual successful in their chosen sector: an individual who has the passion and commitment to succeed.”
“We’ve drawn on the area’s proud industrial heritage and focus on future technologies to create a university offering that stands out from the crowd: a provider that offers degrees which are relevant to employers who are seeking staff who can shape the future of their sector.”
The TEF awards were introduced by the Government to encourage excellent teaching in universities and colleges, with Silver awarded to educational establishments which consistently exceed rigorous national quality requirements.
The TEF panel also found that:
- University level students recorded exceptionally high satisfaction with teaching, assessment and feedback
- There is a culture which facilitates excellent teaching and a commitment to support disadvantaged students
- There is personalised provision for students to secure high levels of engagement and commitment from students
- A Personal, Professional and Development Plan for students encourages them to take increasing responsibility for their personal and academic development
- There has been significant investment in a specialised university block (with a learning resource centre and library) to support teaching
- An annual University Symposium encourages both staff and students to undertake research and present their findings.
Karen Buchanan added:
“We are not resting on our laurels: we are aiming for gold in our next TEF inspection, which will rank us alongside some of the top universities in the UK renown for their industry expertise, including Harper Adams University, Imperial College London and the London School of Economics. Our focus is to provide students with the very best opportunities to reach their full potential at degree level and provide them with the springboard they need to achieve successful careers as future leaders and ensure the future prosperity of this area.”
We offer a wide range of university-level courses, from Business and Management to Electronic Engineering, Construction, Computing and Social Work at our Campus in Princess Way, Burnley. For more information on how you, as an Employer can forge closer links with your town’s university, contact our Student Services team on 01282 733373 or email email@example.com