The Oaks Hotel has a new Head Chef, James White and he’s come up with a stunning recipe for a weekend breakfast using local ingredients.
Bury black pudding hash brown
1 washed white potato
1 egg yolk
60g plain flour
100g bury black pudding (diced small)
1 rasher of bacon
1 whole egg yolk
Dash of white wine vinegar
Butter for frying
*Pre heat oven to 180oC
*Set a pan to simmer for poaching your egg, put a dash of white wine vinegar (this keeps the white of the egg together)
- Peel and grate the potato.
- Rinse the potato under cold water to remove excess starch.
- Using a clean cloth, wring out all the water from the potato gratings until you can’t squeeze any more out.
- Combine the potato, black pudding, egg yolk and flour in a bowl and mix through thoroughly until it binds together. Add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Shape the potato mix by hand into a round(ish) shape.
- Set a frying pan on a medium heat and melt the butter. Fry both sides of the hash brown until golden brown.
- Put the hash brown into the oven (on greaseproof paper) with your bacon on the same tray but separate and set a timer for 15 minutes.
- When the timer is done, put your egg into the poaching pan and set a timer for three more minutes. When the timer is done remove the egg from the pan and the bacon and hash brown from the oven.
- Plate your creation however you like and tuck in.
** Tip 1: when frying with butter add a splash of cooking oil to keep the butter from burning and turning brown.
** Tip 2: season the top of your egg with a tiny amount of cracked black pepper for extra flavour.