Burnley’s vision to become a centre of educational excellence and a regionally significant centre for advanced manufacturing, digital and creative industries, is fast becoming a reality with recent developments of University Technical College, Burnley College, UCLAN.
Achievements and opportunities
£350 million has been invested in leading edge facilities, since 2010 every secondary school pupil attends a new school building, and Burnley College and the University of Central Lancashire have co-located to a state of the art campus.
- The new £10m University Technical Collect will equip 14-19 year olds with the skills to progress in the 21st century labour market.
- The college’s Advanced Vocational students achieved a 100% pass rate with more than a 90% of it’s students achieving a Merit or Distinction.
- Trade Apprenticeships in Burnley is at 9.1%, whereas the national average is at only 3.6%
- Burnley college 99.8% pass rate, 88% high A* to C grades,
- In 2013 73% of Honours Degree students at the Burnley UCLan campus achieved a first class or 2:1 result, well above last year’s national average of 64%.
The new educational infrastructure will be a catalyst for increasing achievement in the borough. The Knowledge Park through the Burnley college/UCLan campus, the workforce of tomorrow will acquire higher-level skills to support local businesses and the advanced manufacturing sector. Linked to these facilities will be a high quality business location that maximises the input of the adjoining education campus.