In our second article of the burnley.co.uk “5 minutes with” series, we’ve been speaking to Kyle Ellis, owner and head chef of Ellis’s on Standish Street.
The Standish-street eatery burst onto the scene in 2018 when Kyle turned the former milkshake café into an American style diner, specialising in classic USA inspired food.
1) What’s 3 words to describe your own business?
Cool. Quality. Unique.
2) Why do you like being based in Burnley?
It’s my hometown so obviously I’m biased but it’s the best town in the land! The people are friendly, generous and will always give you a chance – it’s then up to you to prove you’re any good!
3) What made you start your own business?
Passion. Passion for the town itself and passion for good food and a good time!
4) Words of advice for people considering starting up their own business?
Do your market research and be prepared to work insanely hard, pretty much all the time. But if you love what you do, don’t hesitate – you only get once chance at life so spend it doing what you care about!
5) Your favourite business in Burnley (aside from your own!)?
I’m gonna say Little Barista – I pretty much run off coffee and those guys make the best!
6) Your favourite thing to do in Burnley?
Being so passionate about food, it has to be eating at restaurants. There’s some many quality food establishments, I love trying them all! There’s no such thing as rivalry – I want everyone to do well so the whole town benefits!
7) How have you adapted during the COVID-19 situation?
We had to change to a delivery/takeout system which thankfully kept us going until we can reopen on July 4th. We also delivered ‘Lockdown Kits’ – packages of our ingredients and tailored instructions so people could make ‘Ellis’s At Home’
8) What’s the most unusual request you’ve had from a customer?
Somebody once wanted a ‘burger milkshake’ – ie make the burger then blend it up into a shake. Needless to say, I had to refuse that one!